101 Essential Oil Uses
Compiled by Peggy Brackett
1. Rub Lavender oil on the feet for a calming effect on the body.
2. Rub a drop of Lavender oil on your palms and smooth on your pillow to
help you sleep.
3. Put a drop of Lavender oil on a bee sting or insect bite to stop itching
and reduce swelling.
4. Put 2-3 drops of Lavender oil on a minor burn to decrease pain.
5. Drop Lavender oil on a cut to stop the bleeding.
6. Mix several drops of Lavender oil with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil and use
topically on eczema and dermatitis.
7. To alleviate the symptoms of motion sickness, place a drop of Lavender
oil on the end of the tongue or around the naval or behind the ears.
8. To stop a nosebleed, put a drop of Lavender oil on a tissue and wrap it
around a small chip of ice. Push the tissue covered ice chip up under the
middle of the top lip to the base of the nose and hold as long as comfortable or
until the bleeding stops (do not freeze the lip or gum).
9. Rub a drop of Lavender oil over the bridge of the nose to unblock tear
10. Rub Lavender oil on dry or chapped skin.
11. Rub a drop of Lavender oil on chapped or sunburned lips.
12. To reduce or minimize the formation of scar tissue, massage Lavender oil
on and around the affected area.
13. Rub 2 – 4 drops of Lavender oil over the armpit area to act as a
14. Rub a drop of Lavender oil between your palms and inhale deeply to help
alleviate the symptoms of hay fever.
15. Rub several drops of Lavender oil into the scalp to help eliminate
16. Place a few drops of Lavender oil on a cotton ball and place in your
linen closet to scent the linens and repel moths and insects.
17. Place a drop of Lavender oil in your water fountain to scent the air,
kill bacteria and prolong the time between cleanings.
18. Place a few drops of Lavender oil on a wet cloth and throw into the
dryer, which will deodorize and freshen your laundry.
19. Put a drop of Lavender oil on a cold sore.
20. Diffuse Lavender oil to alleviate the symptoms of allergies.
21. Spritz several drops of Lavender oil mixed with distilled water on a
sunburn to decrease pain.
22. Drop Lavender oil on a cut to clean the wound and kill bacteria.
23. Apply 2-3 drops of Lavender oil to a rash to stop the itching and heal
LEMON - (Citrus limon) has antiseptic-like properties and contains compounds
that have been studied for their effects on immune function. It may serve as
an insect repellent and may be beneficial for the skin. CAUTION: Citrus oils
should NOT be applied to skin that will be exposed to direct sunlight or
ultraviolet light within 72 hours.
24. Use 6 drops of Lemon oil and 6 drops of Purification oil in a squirt
bottle mixed with distilled water to use in the bathroom as an air freshener.
25. Use 1-2 drops of Lemon oil to remove gum, oil, grease spots or crayon.
26. Use 1 drop of Lemon oil to add flavor to baked goods or beverages.
27. For homemade lemonade, in a blender mix 2 drops of Lemon oil, 2
tablespoons of honey and two cups of pure water. Adjust the amount of each
ingredient to suit your own taste.
28. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a corn, callous or bunion mornings and
29. To clean and increase the shelf life of fresh fruit, fill a bowl with
cool water and 2-3 drops of Lemon oil. Drop your cleaned fruit into the water
and stir. Be sure all surfaces of the fruit contact the lemon water.
30. Add 2-3 drops of Lemon oil to water and spray counter tops to sterilize
31. Soak your dishcloth overnight in a bowl of water and a drop of Lemon oil
to disinfect and kill germs.
32. Add a drop of Lemon oil to your dishwasher before the wash cycle.
33. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on your hands after using a public bathroom.
34. Use a paper towel soaked with several drops of Lemon oil to sanitize
35. Place a drop of Lemon oil on cold sores, herpes or other mouth ulcers to
lessen pain and aid healing.
36. Put a drop of Lemon oil on bleeding gums caused by gingivitis or tooth
37. Put a drop of Lemon oil on oily skin or acne to balance sebaceous glands
38. Rub several drops of Lemon oil on cellulite to improve circulation and
help eliminate waste from the cells.
39. Rub two drops of Lemon oil topically to clear athlete's foot.
40. Rub several drops of Lemon oil on varicose veins to improve circulation
and relieve pressure on the veins.
41. Rub a drop of Lemon oil on a wart morning and night until it disappears.
42. Rub a drop of Lemon oil to clean a butcher's block or other cutting
43. Put 10-15 drops of Lemon oil in each gallon of carpet cleaning solution
to help pull out stains and brighten the rug. This also leaves a fresh smell in the room.
PEPPERMINT - (Mentha piperita) is one of the oldest and most highly regarded
herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, M.D., studied peppermint's effect
on the liver and respiratory systems. Other scientists have also researched
peppermint's role in affecting impaired taste and smell when inhaled. Dr.
William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint's ability to
improve concentration and mental accuracy. Alan Hirsch, M.D., studied
peppermint's ability to directly affect the brain's satiety center, which triggers a
sense of fullness after meals.
44. Rub 4-6 drops in the palm and rub over stomach and around the navel to
relieve indigestion, flatulence and diarrhea.
45. Add a drop of Peppermint oil to herbal tea to aid in digestion and
46. Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the area of injury to reduce
47. Apply Peppermint oil immediately to an injured area (bruised shin, hit
on the foot or hand) to relieve pain. If there is a cut, apply the Peppermint
oil around (not on) the open wound.
48. Rub several drops of Peppermint oil on the bottoms of the feet to reduce
49. Apply a drop of Peppermint oil topically on unbroken skin to stop
50. For poison ivy or poison oak, apply Peppermint oil on location neat or
dilute with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil.
51. Inhale Peppermint oil before and during a workout to boost your mood and
52. Massage several drops of Peppermint oil on the abdomen to relieve
53. To relieve a headache, rub a drop of Peppermint oil on the temples,
forehead, over the sinuses (stay away from the eyes) and on the back of the neck.
54. To stop hiccups, apply a drop of Peppermint oil on each side of the
fifth cervical vertebra (up three notches from the large vertebra at the base of the neck).
55. Place two drops of Peppermint oil on the tongue and rub another drop
under the nose to improve alertness and concentration.
56. Diffuse Peppermint oil in the room while studying to improve
concentration and accuracy. Inhale Peppermint oil while taking a test to improve recall.
57. Rub 4 drops of Peppermint oil on chest and stomach to relieve travel
58. Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue and inhale into the nose
and sinuses to relieve congestion from a cold.
59. Add Peppermint oil to food as a flavoring and a preservative.
60. To deter rats, mice, ants or cockroaches, place two drops of Peppermint
oil on a cotton ball and place along the path or point of entry for these
61. Mix one 15 ml. bottle of Peppermint oil into a 5 gallon can of paint to
dispel the fumes.
62. Place a couple of drops of Peppermint oil in a cup of hot water and
enjoy in place of coffee.
63. To kill aphids, add 4-5 drops of Peppermint oil to 4 ounces of water and spray the plants.
64. Drink a drop of Peppermint oil mixed in a glass of cold water to cool
off on a hot day.
65. Rub Peppermint oil on joints to relieve arthritis or tendonitis pain.
66. Place a drop of Peppermint oil on the tongue to stop bad breath.
67. Inhale the fragrance of Peppermint oil to curb the appetite and lessen
the impulse to overeat.
68. Remove ticks by applying a drop of Peppermint oil on a cotton swab and
swabbing the tick. Wait for it to unhedge its head and remove from your pet.
69. Mix Peppermint oil in a footbath to relieve sore feet. Keep water
agitated while soaking feet.
JOY - An exotic, luxurious blend of Lemon (Citrus limon), mandarin (Citrus
reticulata), bergamot (Citrus bergamia), ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), rose
(Rosa damascena), rosewood (Aniba rosaeodora), geranium (Pelargonium
graveolens), palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii), Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), and
jasmine (Jasminum officinale) that produces an uplifting magnetic energy and
brings joy to the heart. When worn as a cologne or perfume, Joy exudes an
alluring and irresistible fragrance that inspires romance and togetherness. When
diffused, it can be refreshing and uplifting.
70. Rub a drop of Joy oil over the heart and on the bottom of each foot to
relieve feelings of frustration or depression.
71. Put a drop of Joy oil on the tip of the nose to uplift your mood.
72. Wear a drop of Joy oil behind each ear as a perfume.
73. Rub a drop of Joy oil between your palms and then spread over the face
and neck after shaving.
74. Rub two drops of Joy oil on areas of the body with poor circulation to
improve blood flow.
75. Rub two drops of Joy oil on the armpit area to use for a deodorant.
76. Rub two drops of Joy oil on the heart and feet to increase libido.
77. Sprinkle a few drops of Joy oil into potpourri to improve the fragrance.
PANAWAY - A blend of wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens), which has an
active constituent similar to cortisone; clove (Syzygium aromaticum), which
contains eugenol, used by dentists to numb gums; peppermint (Mentha piperita), which
is calming for nerves; and helichrysum (Helichrysum italicum), which is
soothing for localized discomfort. This blend was created by Gary Young following
an injury that severely tore the ligaments in his leg.
78. Apply PanAway oil topically on an injured area to reduce inflammation
79. Apply PanAway oil topically to sore muscles after exercising.
80. Rub a drop of PanAway oil on the temples, forehead and back of the neck
to relieve a headache.
81. Mix PanAway oil with massage oil and massage on location to stop growing pains.
82. Rub 1-2 drops of PanAway oil on arthritic hands to lessen pain.
83. Rub 2-3 drops of PanAway oil at the base of the spine to relieve sciatic pain.
84. For arthritic pets, massage PanAway oil diluted with V-6 Vegetable on
location or a drop in the food.
PEACE & CALMING - A gentle, fragrant blend of Tangerine (Citrus nobilis),
orange (Citrus sinensis), ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), patchouly (Pogostemon
cablin) and blue tansy (Tanacetum annuum) specially designed for diffusing. It
promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace, helping to calm tensions and
85. Rub 1-2 drops of Peace & Calming oil on the bottom of the feet and on
the shoulders before bedtime to get good quality sleep.
86. Diffuse Peace & Calming oil in the room to calm overactive or hard to
87. Mix Peace & Calming oil with massage oil for a relaxing massage.
88. Put Peace & Calming oil mixed with Bath Gel Base in warm water for a
89. To help stop nocturnal teeth grinding, diffuse Peace & Calming oil while sleeping.
PURIFICATION - An antiseptic blend of Citronella (Cymbopogon nardus),
lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus), rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis), melaleuca
(Melaleuca alternifolia), lavandin (Lavandula x hybrida) and myrtle (Myrtus
communis) formulated for diffusing to purify and cleanse the air and neutralize
mildew, cigarette smoke and disagreeable odors.
90. Diffuse Purification oil to clean the air and neutralize foul or stale
91. Put several drops of Purification oil on a cotton ball and place in the
air vents in the home, office, hotel room or other enclosed area.
92. While traveling, inhale Purification oil during flights to protect
yourself from pathogens found in the recirculated air.
93. Put a drop of Purification oil on insect bites to cleanse and stop the
94. Apply a drop of Purification oil on blemishes to clear the skin.
95. Rub a drop of Purification oil on the outside of a sore throat when it
is first beginning.
96. Rub a drop of Purification oil on a blister to cleanse and disinfect.
97. Put 2 drops of Purification oil on two cotton balls and place in the
toes of smelly sneakers to combat odors.
98. Place a drop of Purification oil on each end of a cotton swab and place
on top of your cold water humidifier to clean the air.
99. Dilute Purification oil with V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil and swab the nasal cavity to ward off the flu.
100. Spritz several drops of Purification oil mixed with water to repel
101. Apply Purification oil and Peppermint oil diluted with V-6 Vegetable
Mixing Oil to a cotton swab and rub just inside the ear to eliminate ear mites in cats and dogs.
1. Always keep a bottle of V-6 Vegetable Mixing Oil, Massage Oil Base or any
pure vegetable oil handy when using essential oils. Vegetable oils dilute
essential oils if they cause discomfort or skin irritation.
2. Keep bottles of essential oils tightly closed and store them in a cool
location away from light. If stored properly, essential oils will maintain
their potency for many years.
3. Keep essential oils out of reach of children. Treat them as you would
any product for therapeutic use.
4. Do not use essential oils rich in menthol (such as peppermint) on the
throat or neck area of children under 30 months of age.
5. Direct sunlight and essential oils. Lemon, bergamot, orange,
grapefruit, tangerine, White Angelica and other citrus oils may cause a rash or darker
pigmentation if applied to skin exposed to direct sunlight or UV rays with 3 to 4 days of use.
6. Keep essential oils away from eye area and do not put into ears. Do not handle contact lenses or rub eyes with essential oils on fingers. Oils with
high phenol content – oregano, helichrysum, cinnamon, thyme, clove.
Lemongrass, bergamot, Thieves and ImmuPower – may damage contacts and irritate eyes.
7. Pregnant women should consult their health care professional before using
essential oils containing constituents with hormone-like activity, such as
clary sage, sage, Idaho tansy, juniper and fennel.
8. Epileptics and those with high blood pressure should consult their health
care professional before using essential oils. Avoid hyssop, fennel and
Idaho tansy oils.
9. People with allergies should test a small amount of oil on a small area
of sensitive skin, such as the inside of the arm, before applying the oil on
other areas. The bottom of the feet is one of the safest, most effective
places to use essential oils.
10. Before taking GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) essential oils
internally, always dilute with an oil-soluble liquid like honey, olive oil or soy milk.
11. Do not add undiluted essential oils directly to bath water. Use Bath
Gel Base as a dispersing agent for oils in the bath.
Copyright © 2002
Spiritual Awakening Network is a registered trademark
Spiritual Awakening Network/All rights reserved